|DATES||9 Jun–3 Sep 2017|
|VENUE||City Hall Wing, Level 3, Singtel Special Exhibition Gallery|
About the exhibition
Yayoi Kusama is one of the world's most influential artists. Known for her iconic dots, nets, pumpkins and infinity rooms, her art has captivated millions all over the world.
National Gallery Singapore invites you to discover Kusama's expansive creative vision in the first major survey of her work held in Southeast Asia. Featuring over 120 works across media, YAYOI KUSAMA: Life is the Heart of a Rainbow offers an unprecedented opportunity to explore an extraordinary artistic journey across seven decades.
Beginning with paintings from the 1950s, the exhibition traces the development of her key motifs and exploration of colour, form and space. Along the way, it highlights her forays into sculpture, collage, performance and video, before culminating in a series of spectacular installations and large-scale paintings that transform our galleries and public spaces.
This exhibition spans 4 galleries (A, B, C, H) and takes roughly 2 hours to complete.
Admission information to YAYOI KUSAMA: Life is the Heart of a Rainbow
Before you visit, please read these helpful tips to enhance your experience.
Peak Hours & Extended Hours
- Please note that the exhibition is usually at peak capacity from 2pm–5.30pm, especially on weekends. Queueing into some exhibition areas may be required
- The exhibition is open till 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays. Sale of same-day tickets closes at 8.30pm on days with extended operating hours.
Extended Hours on Fri–Sun, 1–3 Sep
The special exhibition YAYOI KUSAMA: Life is the Heart of a Rainbow will see extended hours from Fri–Sun, 1–3 Sep. Please refer to the table below for more information. All other galleries will follow regular operating hours.
|Thu, 31 Aug||Fri, 1 Sep||Sat, 2 Sep||Sun, 3 Sep|
|Last sale of tickets||8.30pm||8.30pm||10.30pm||9.00pm|
Use the official YAYOI KUSAMA: Life is the Heart of a Rainbow hashtag on social media to be part of the conversation and show us your favourite photos!
|SINGAPOREANS / PRs|
Timed-entry tickets will be introduced for this exhibition to keep to the capacity of our 4 special exhibition galleries and provide our visitors with a comfortable experience. Visitors may purchase their tickets at the Level B1 Ticketing Counter for same-day admission or pre-order them online. Visitors are encouraged to book their tickets online to avoid disappointment due to the crowds.
Pre-order online and validate your ticket
Online pre-orders have to be made at least 1 day in advance.
Once you have completed your online transaction, visitors will receive a confirmation email. Please proceed to the Level B1 Priority Ticketing Counter to validate your ticket. Visitors will need to hold on to their validated tickets before being granted access into each of the galleries.
Singaporeans and PRs should purchase the All Access Pass for complimentary General Admission tickets.
Gallery Insiders enjoy free admission to the exhibition. Book your tickets online from 26 May 2017 or enjoy priority queues for onsite tickets.
Learn more about our membership programme here.
Join us as a Gallery Insider now to enjoy up to 20% off membership fees! Promotion ends 3rd September 2017.
BECOME AN INSIDER TODAY!
Terms & Conditions
- Online pre-orders of tickets is available to Gallery Insiders from 26 May, and the general public on 2 June.
- Online pre-orders must be made at least one day before your visit.
- Visitors who book their tickets online will need to proceed to Level B1 Priority Ticketing Counter to validate their tickets before joining the queue at the special exhibition galleries.
- Entry into the exhibition is based on the time indicated on your validated ticket, although queues are expected during peak hours.
- A validated ticket needs to be produced before entry into each gallery is allowed.
- Re-entry into any special exhibition gallery is not allowed.
- From 9 June, a limited number of on-site tickets will be made available each day at 9.30am at the Level B1 Ticketing Counter. While stocks last.
- Sale of same-day tickets ends 1.5 hours before the galleries close.
- Last sale of same-day tickets from Sun–Thu & PH: 5.30pm
- Last sale of same-day tickets from Fri–Sat & Eve of PH: 8.30pm
- During peak hours, queues are expected at the entrance of the special exhibition galleries and some installations.
- For group ticket purchases of 30 or more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here for more information.
- The Gallery reserves full discretion to implement alternative crowd control measures outside and within the exhibition galleries when need arises.
- Complimentary tickets for local students and teachers may be redeemed at the Padang Information Counter on Level 1. A limited number of tickets are released hourly on a first come first served basis. (Please visit our Admissions page for full terms and conditions)
KIDS & FAMILIES
Gallery Children's Biennale: Dreams & Stories
20 May–8 Oct
Visit Kusama's immersive The Obliteration Room, and other creative installations spread across the Gallery! Learn more about the Gallery Children's Biennale.
Every second Sat & Sun | Jul–Sep
Join us for artist-led workshops and storytelling sessions that explore the patterns, shapes and colours in Kusama's work.
TALKS & WORKSHOPS
Curatorial Roundtable: Yayoi Kusama
Sat 17 Jun | 3–4.30pm
The Ngee Ann Kongsi Auditorium
Why is the work of Kusama so relevant today? What explains the dazzling popularity of her art, both in the art world and beyond? Explore these questions and more in a lively discussion with the Gallery's Russell Storer and Adele Tan, and Reuben Keehan of the Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art, Brisbane
Sunday Studio: Marbled Patterns
Sun 18 Jun, 2 Jul, 6 Aug, 3 Sep | 2–5pm
Keppel Centre for Art Education Workshops 1 & 2
Drawing inspiration from the exhibition, participants will learn marbling techniques and experiment with creating a range of patterns on fabric and paper.
Suitable for children aged 15 and up.
YAYOI KUSAMA: Life is the Heart of a Rainbow
Price (including tax): SGD 37.45
Accompanying the first major survey of Yayoi Kusama’s work in Southeast Asia, this catalogue explores the captivating work of one of the world’s most influential artist. It features essays by curators from National Gallery Singapore and Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art, a biographical timeline, and beautifully reproduced images of her paintings, sculptures, collage, performances, video works and installations.
This exhibition catalogue is available at the museum shop.
Click here to learn about our full range of exhibition catalogues
Remember your favourite art with these exclusive keepsakes available from Gallery & Co. Featuring the art from the exhibition YAYOI KUSAMA: Life is the Heart of a Rainbow, an assortment of postcards, pins, enamelware, umbrellas and socks are available to be the perfect memory or the perfect gift.
SHOP ONLINE NOW
BEFORE YOU VISIT
Useful information for YAYOI KUSAMA: Life is the Heart of a Rainbow
Tickets for the exhibition are sold by the hour. To purchase tickets for today, please proceed to the Ticketing Counter at Level B1
For those holding E-tickets, please validate at the Priority Counter at Level B1 before going to the exhibition galleries.
Complimentary tickets for local students and teachers may be redeemed at the Padang Information Counter on Level 1. A limited number of tickets are released hourly on a first come, first served basis
The exhibition is spread across four galleries on Level 3 of the City Hall Wing. Your ticket is valid for a one-time entry into each gallery and will be checked outside each gallery.
Deposit big bags and umbrellas in our free lockers at Level B1.
FREE AUDIO GUIDE
Go on a self-guided tour. Loan a Samsung Tablet from Visitor Services at Level B1, or download the Gallery Explorer App onto your phone. Earphones are required and available from Visitor Services for a recommended donation of $2.
Play a part in protecting the artworks by refraining from touching them.
BEGIN YOUR VISIT
Entry is only permitted after the time indicated on your ticket. Generally, it takes two hours, including queue times, to complete the exhibition.
Please expect queues to enter the galleries and installations during peak hours.
Non-flash photography is allowed (except for a few artworks with a “no photography” sign beside them).
Yayoi Kusama in front of LIFE IS THE HEART OF A RAINBOW. ©YAYOI KUSAMA, Courtesy of Ota Fine Arts, Tokyo/Singapore, Victoria Miro Gallery, David Zwirner, New York.